Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

MY CAT HAS BLOOD IN HER URINE. I MEANT CAT SORRY. SHES ABOUT…

Customer Question
MY CAT HAS BLOOD...

MY CAT HAS BLOOD IN HER URINE

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

I MEANT CAT SORRY. SHES ABOUT 8 . HER NAME IS*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucy?

SHE WAS DIAGNOSED WITH LIVER CANCER APPROX SIX MONTHS AGO BUT SHE ACTS LIKE A NRMAL CAT WHO DOESNT HAVE CANCER. IN OTHOER WORDS NO WEIGHT LOSS, SAME PERSONALITY I CONSIDER MYSELF AND LUCY VERY LUCKY

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/13/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I am Dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am sorry to hear about Lucy, but it sound like she has been otherwise doing really well even with the liver cancer.

I am working on a response right now and will be back shortly.

There are a number of reasons why cats will have bloody urine some of which include:

1. cystitis - inflammation of the bladder but no infection.

2. Urinary tract infection.

3. Crystals in the urine.

4. Stress

5. Bladder stones.

6. Kidney disease

I think that the most important thing in this situation would be to determine which one of these condition she might be dealing with. The best way to do that would be to take her in and start with a urinalysis to see if there are crystals, bacteria, etc in the urine. Also, based on her history it would be really wise to check some blood work and ensure that her kidney levels are normal as well as her liver values.

It is impossible without tests to determine why there is blood in the urine, however, if it is a persistent problem it should be addressed so that she does not get worse.

Many times these can be fairly easy to treat if addressed early.

It does sound like she has been very lucky with her health and not feeling sick, but it still would make you feel much better if you had her examined and tested to ensure that it is not a serious problem.

In the meantime, ensure that she is eating and drinking normally and that she is not lethargic or depressed.

I hope that helps to clarify things.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help.

If you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time.

Even after the rating, we can continue this conversation for up to a week, so keep me posted on how she is doing.

Sincerely,

Dr. Nicole