Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Goes to urinate every 40 minutes or so. A husky dog. It

Customer Question
Goes to urinate every...

Goes to urinate every 40 minutes or so

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

A husky dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the husky?

It urinates quite frequently, like sometimes twice an hour, and drinks a lot of water

Veterinarian's Assistant: Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Expert will know what to do. What is the husky's name and age?

Chula 6 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chula?

She sprained her hip a month ago, and is having problems walking around, she did the same thing two years ago, and has reinjured the same leg

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/13/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian

Greetings, I'm Dr. Peck, a moment while I type my reply...

I would suggest bloodwork and a urinalysis for this concern.

It may be something simple like a urinary tract infection - and easily caught and hopefully easily treated after checking a urinalysis.

But given she drinks a lot of water as well, one should also be worried about something systemic going on, like diabetes, kidney disease, liver disease, etc.

Contact your local veterinarian in the morning and schedule a visit, plan on checking at a minimum a urinalysis, but bloodwork (a blood count, chemistry panel, and thyroid check) should be assessed ideally as well. Treatment will be dependent on the physical examination and labwork findings.

I hope my thoughts are helpful to you. Let me know if you have any follow-up questions, simply write me back! I’ll reply as soon as I’m able. Otherwise, please be sure to kindly rate using the stars, so that I receive credit for helping with your question today (this is how professionals on this site are compensated for their time). Thanks! – Dr. Peck.

Could it be Cushing disease

Yes, it absolutely could. Cushings disease commonly presents with increase urination and drinking. Sometimes physical examination findings make one suspect cushings disease. Typically routine bloodwork and urinalysis is assessed first, before deciding whether to assess adrenal function testing to look for over-active adrenal glands (cushings disease = hyperadrenocorticism, an excessive production of cortisol from the adrenal glands, one of the symptoms of which is increased drinking/urination).

Certain findings on the initial bloodwork and urinalysis can make a veterinarian suspect cushings more or less, and that labwork helps rule-out other concerns, like a UTI, kidney failure, diabetes, etc.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Samuel Peck
The dog I feel is getting worseDrinks a Gallon if water a day
Heaven breathingShe reinsured her leg a month a go. Could she have infection?And is there any medicine for Cushing disease?

My recommendation to seek a physical examination and routine labwork with you local veterinarian remains the same... if you feel she is getting worse then that just increases the urgency to pursue my initial recommendation. With the addition of heavy breathing that would increase my concern. If there is any concern for abnormal breathing or abnormal auscultation findings (using a stethoscope to listen to her heart and lungs) x-rays of her chest might also be suggested along with the routine labwork. There are various treatments for cushings disease but you need to pursue diagnostics before assuming that's what she has, as stated above it could be many other things. You should seek assessment and diagnostics as soon as you're able to. Changes in breathing may indicate an emergency in some situations. An infection is possible. The lameness should be assessed on physical examination along with everything else, and again, diagnostics might be suggested such as x-rays of the injured limb, but unless it's felt to be related systemically somehow I'd likely have it as a lower priority other than managing pain control while working up the change in drinking and breathing. If finances facilitated I'd be suggesting bloodwork (blood count, full chemistry panel), urinalysis, chest x-rays possibly, and x=rays of the lame limb possibly. But you need to start with a physical examination and go from there.

Let me know if you have followup questions. - Dr. Peck.

Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian