Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Ugh...I lapsed on flea treatment and just noticed some.

Customer Question
Ugh...I lapsed on flea...

Ugh...I lapsed on flea treatment and just noticed some. Fearing a big problem. Treated last month and this month with K9 Advantix and am still seeing them. Just found a lot on him tonight, although they were slow moving...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Titan, and he is 9 years old. German Shepherd so difficult to spot them on him. Seems like they are jumping ship tonight.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Titan?

Have been treating the carpet and super cleaning the house. No, he is otherwise healthy Thank you

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/13/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? When during the month did you apply the K9 Advantix?

I did it last month and just yesterday this month

Okay thanks for the additional information. If you just applied the medication yesterday it may take a couple of days to see a reduction of fleas. Since there are fleas on him currently you have to assume that there are also fleas in the environment as well in a form of larvae and pupae which could continue to hatch over the next 3 months. You can still give an oral medication to help get rid of the fleas currently on him a little quicker. There is a product call capstar that is an oral product you can give and it can kill fleas within 30 minutes.

Ok
Thank you very much. What are your thoughts on the natural products for his environment like carpets and furniture? Obviously there is a problem there. I have been keeping him on the first floor of the house to minimize, but have spotted a few of the buggers on the 2nd floor as well. Clearly I messed up thinking he was fine.

Frequent vaccuuming will be the key in the enviroment if you don't want to use pesticides. Also boric acid can help as well in some cases. But once he is on an effective flea treatment he will be a participant as well in get rid of the fleas in the house. Because as soon as they jump on him they will die and you will greatly notice that the flea population will decrease over time.

Ok
Thank you very much!! I will just. Ontinue as I am doing, frequent brushing and sweeping. Hoping this fixes the problem. Ugh...I could just kick myself for missing those few treatments������

You are very welcome. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns

In advance, Thanks for giving a rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today and help me better serve customers in the future.

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks Dr. Alleyne

Thank you
I certainly will!!
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian