Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 70 lb. 3 year old bulldog has a large abscess between two…

Customer Question
My 70 lb. 3...

My 70 lb. 3 year old bulldog has a large abscess between two toes. I am warm soaking the foot. I will take him in to the vets Monday am. can I give 5mg oxycodone for pain? it is pure oxy no Tylenol?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Elvis

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Elvis?

No. they have his complete history.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/13/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Elvis is uncomfortable, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. In answer to your question Oxycodone is sometimes given to dogs and typical initial dose rate would be 0.05 mg per pound of bodyweight given twice a day. This works out as 3.5 mg twice a day for your 70 pound dog.

2. However Oxycodone is really in the " big guns league " as it were so really if you are going to be seeing the vet very soon anyway it might be best to hold off on the Oxycodone for now and use something simple and safe and effective such as aspirin.

3. Aspirin is often prescribed for dogs for pain relief and is regarded as safe as compared to the vast majority of the other over the counter human pain killers / anti-inflammatory meds. Many people use plain aspirin in the dog without problem because it will normally only be used for a few days so any side effects would be very unlikely. But avoid enteric-coated aspirin as the the coating can decrease the absorption of aspirin from the intestines in dogs.

4. A typical dose rate for aspirin in the dog would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight given twice daily. The judgement whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

5. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Elvis is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his abscess ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian