Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog, had a swollen tongue and a red rash around her face…

Customer Question
My dog, had a...

My dog, had a swollen tongue and a red rash around her face and head last night, gave her benedryl and she seem to get better. Today she threw up projectile vomit twice, and now has a swollen eyeball. Not around the eye, the white part of the eyeball it's self. She seems lethargic now.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about,?

Can't think of anything at the moment. Thank you.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/13/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian

Greetings, I'm Dr. Peck, a small animal veterinarian in general practice.

What you've described is very alarming to me and I would suggest if at all possible seeking evaluation of your dog on an emergency basis.

If you're unable to get to a clinic asap, I'd suggest continuing benadryl at high end dose of 2mg per lb of body weight - so for example a 50lb dog should get 100mg of benadryl.

The things I'm considering based on your description range from a anaphylactic reaction, spider bite, snake bite, retrobulbar abscess, or other possible causes. But it sounds like she likely needs antibiotics and steroids and other supportive care. Get her in as soon as you can, give the benadryl until then.

I hope my thoughts are helpful to you. Let me know if you have any follow-up questions, simply write me back! I’ll reply as soon as I’m able. Otherwise, please be sure to kindly rate using the stars, so that I receive credit for helping with your question today (this is how professionals on this site are compensated for their time). Thanks! – Dr. Peck.

Thank you

You are very welcome. Let me know if you have additional comments or questions please. And don't forget to rate using the stars, thanks! I hope she's feeling better soon! -Dr. Peck.

Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian