Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

11.5 year old frenchie with history of uti. Treated with 6…

Customer Question
11.5 year old frenchie with...
11.5 year old frenchie with history of uti. Treated with 6 weeks of bay trip for suspected age related kidney failure.had sonogram exam blood tests etc. Showed 25% functionAfter the meds finished she was super and all symptoms gone. Now it’s 2 weeks since meds finished. Showed blood in urine, difficulty urinating. Acting good otherwise. Eating well and pooping. What now? She started showing signs of skin itching probably fungus.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/13/2017
Dog Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here.

I am sorry that you have had to wait so long for a reply.

I will do my best to help you.

Did they do a urine culture ever?
Paul

Culture done at time of blood test, sonogram and quick uti scan. Culture showed urinary infection and baytril prescribed specifically from culture. Dr. Also did needle aspiration of bladder at same time which came back negative for any abnormalities No irregularities showed on kidney scan. No swelling either.

That is good.

The thing about urinary tract infections is that you have to monitor them closely to make sure that you have eliminated them entirely.

Otherwise they will keep coming back/never go away

They did do a quick scan of bladder but did not check the kidneys. There could be infection in the kidneys that is then seeding the bladder

Here is what they need to do:

Repeat the urine culture

Ultrasound the rest of the urinary tract to assess for stones or infection

Remember that dogs with CRF are more at risk for infections due to the dilute urine.

Make sense?

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian