Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has a touchy stomach, and it flared up again this…

My dog has a touchy...
My dog has a touchy stomach, and it flared up again this weekend. I picked up some Endosorb yesterday which took care of the diarrhea, but she vomits once in awhile. And the last, and third time, had a few flecks of blood. Her gums are pink and she is not lethargic. She doesn't feel well but still follows, greets, and wags. Can we wait for tomorrow to see our vet?
11/12/2017
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about your puppy.

Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Deb

While the presence of a small amount of blood in a dog's vomit can be alarming, it doesn't necessarily need to be concerning since small capillaries can break from the force it takes to bring back up stomach contents. As long as their isn't a huge amount of it (and it doesn't sound as if there is), then I wouldn't worry too much about this.

And, since her gums are pink and she's not lethargic and she's not non-stop vomiting, it sounds as if you can wait to have her seen until tomorrow when your vet is open; this doesn't sound like an ER type of situation.

You could give her otc Pepcid AC (Famotidine) which may help with her nausea. The dose would be 1/4th mg per pound of body weight and can be given twice daily.

I probably wouldn't feed her for the rest of the day either; just give everything a chance to settle down.

I hope this helps and that she's feeling better soon. Deb

Dr. Deb, The Pepcid was down a out 30 minutes and then she vomited. Not much, and I didn't find any Pepcid in it.

I'm sorry that I was off my computer when you responded back and sorry to hear that she still seemed nauseous. Pepcid is one of those medication which can help to reduce nausea issues depending on the underlying cause but there are other, more potent drugs which would have to be dispensed by your vet (and would be more effective if she has a sensitive stomach). If she's still not feeling well tomorrow, then a vet visit would probably be a wise move.

Best of luck with her, Deb

Hello again,

I'm just checking in about your dog. How are things going with her? Deb

We just got back from her vet. For now it's an anti-nausea med for today and tomorrow
Thank you for your help! It kept me from completely panicking.

You're more than welcome; glad that I could help in your hour of need so to speak:)

​And, thanks for the update; hopefully, the medications your vet dispensed will do the trick and that they didn't think anything too serious was going on with her. Take care, Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian