Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our pitbull mix got in a fight with our cat on Thursday. She…

Customer Question
Our pitbull mix got...

Our pitbull mix got in a fight with our cat on Thursday. She won't walk on her right front paw Ann's it is very swollen.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

There may be a wound behind the first joint of her leg. It may be a claw mark

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Pitbull's name and age?

Majestic and about 5 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Majestic?

It doesn't appear to hurt at our touch. I've retired ice and heet.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Majestic. I want to make sure I got this correct, it is the pitbull that has the swollen right front paw?

the joint above the paw. I would call it the knee.

It is the front leg correct again? Can you post a picture of what you're seeing? Is she still eating and drinking?

Cat bites are notorious for getting infected. If the cat bit her leg an infection fired up, it could cause a lot of swelling and discomfort. If this is the case, then a course of oral antibiotics is needed to get the infection treated. Some need to have the area lanced and drained if an abscess formed. Could something else have hit or bit that area? Could the swelling be due to a primary bone issue / trauma? With older dogs, the concern does get brought up that something else as far as a growth or fracture could be at that area. I would recommend getting to the vet's office to have them evaluate it (possibly take an x-ray if needed) and then hopefully get antibiotics going.

I don't want to talk on the phone. Trying to send photos. This isn't really telling me anything. I thought you could possibly order antibiotics.
she's eating and drinking. Lost the picture and she's in kennel now.

I'm sorry for my delay as I got pulled away by a case at work. I can't do any prescriptions as that isn't legal for a veterinarian to do this without first doing an exam on the pet.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian