Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My vet gave my small dog a bordetella vaccine today when she…

Customer Question
My vet gave my...

My vet gave my small dog a bordetella vaccine today when she already had the shot a month ago is this dangerous

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

She is fine but i am concerned

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

No pain just concerned that a double vaccine is dangerous

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian

Greetings, I'm Dr. Peck, a minute while I type my reply...

I would not be at all concerned about this if this were to occur with one of my patients or one of my own personal dogs. I would not suggest any intervention of any sort. Monitoring is appropriate as typical after a vaccination. Monitor for swelling at the injection site (assuming this second vaccine was also an injection and not an intra-nasal vaccine, another form the vaccine comes in), vomiting, diarrhea, facial swelling, and lethargy. A little tiredness for a day or so is normal. Minor discomfort at the injection site is also common. Beyond that, contact the clinic that gave the vaccination if any concerns arise. Vaccine reactions typically occur quickly (usually they return to the clinic the same day they were given, within hours, if they occur).

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions, simply write me back! I’ll reply as soon as I’m able. Otherwise, please be sure to kindly rate using the stars, so that I receive credit for helping with your question today (this is how professionals on this site are compensated for their time). Thanks! – Dr. Peck.

thank you

You're very welcome. Please kindly remember to rate using the stars, that is the best way to thank me for my time, it is appreciated! - Dr. Peck.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Samuel Peck
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian