Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

His rear legs are dropping when he's still and he's moving…

Customer Question
His rear legs are...

His rear legs are dropping when he's still and he's moving slow

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Jazz

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Jazz?

13

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

W​hen did he start having issues with his hind legs? Have you taken him to the vet for x-ray or have you tried any medications?

He has been having these symptoms for about a month now. I have been trying to give him a glucosamine treatment. First I started out with some chews now i have him on a stronger pill formula

S​o the most likely cause would be arthritis in his hips or spine. He could also have an issue with the discs in his spine. The discs are spongy material between the vertebrae that act as shock absorbers. When injured or due to age degeneration they discs can bulge out or completely herniate out. That puts abnormal pressure on the surround structures and nerves. These conditions would have to be diagnosed with x-rays at a vet clinic. This would be rare but he could also have a growth in the spine area that sends nerve signals to his legs.

So in a perfect world he would have a vet exam and x-rays. If the glucosamine chondroitin is not helping he will need something stronger. We usually use Non-steroidal anti-inflammatories like Carprofen. Tramadol is a milk opiate that can be used for pain. Prednisone can help with inflammation. Those are all prescription. Adequan injections can help maintain joint health as well.

I​n terms of over the counter treatment, that does not involve a vet visit or getting a diagnosis, you can use the glucosamine chondroitin which you already are. Aspirin could be given on really bad days but it can affect the liver, kidneys, and lining of the gastrointestinal tract. So I would not use it more than 24 hours in a row with out doing blood work first. So only give it once or twice a week. 5-10 mg of aspirin per each pound of dog every 12 hours. Give it with food to help prevent stomach upset.

D​oes that make sense to you? Do you have any other questions for me? If you are all set please rate my answer by clicking on the stars at the top of the screen. That way the website know I have responded to your question. Many Thanks.

What about a pill formula that has tart cherries in it?

In general dogs do not like a cherry flavor and I have not had any luck using cherry for arthritis. So I would say no. A really good one to try is Cosequin. The FDA does not regulate the glucosamine and chondroitin formulas because they are considered nutraceuticals. So you may buy something and what is on the label is not in the bottle. I know Cosequin has actual studies to back it up and what is on the label is in the bottle. You can buy it at pet store and online. When I use it on patients it takes about 2 weeks to get to the full effect and see a difference. Make sure you give the higher dose and NOT the maintenance dose.