Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My puppy drank water ate some of her food then within 5

Customer Question
My puppy drank water...

My puppy drank water ate some of her food then within 5 minutes she started throwing up chocking and died

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your puppy will be able to digest that. What is the puppy's name?

Quinn she was 7 weeks old I️ only had her for 32 hours she was so sweet and liked to sleep in my lap. The fist day Home she would not drink but started drinking the next morning

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Quinn?

I️ don’t know the breaker said all the rest of the puppy’s are fine I️ didn’t have her long enough to know her normal

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

I am so sorry to hear that Quinn passed so abruptly. If we can exclude her eating anything toxic or non-edible that could have perforated her stomach, then we'd be most concerned that she may have obstructed her airway with vomiting or severely aspirated vomit to cause her to pass. In this case, it is possible that she didn't have a health issue prior to this given our above concerns. But of course she could have been more prone to this if she had had a birth defect in her esophagus, airway or stomach. Therefore, if you did wish to know which of the above was present and if there was any birth based defects that put her at risk, it'd be ideal to have an autopsy. For this, you can take her to the local ER vet to hold her body until it can be sent for analysis (or until your regular vet is open to carry out the autopsy) and once it is that would be a way to know which of the above caused her death and whether her breeding had anything to do with it,

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian