Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I’m traveling with my 78 pound pit on a flight. He hates his…

Customer Question
I’m traveling with my 78...
I’m traveling with my 78 pound pit bull on a flight. He hates his kennel and I’m thinking about giving him gravol to calm him down. I read above that 2-4 mg per pound. Is that correct doses? I have adult gravol at 50mg per pill.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

With regards ***** ***** question, Gravol can be used at the doses you listed. Though as you wish to use it as a calming/sedation agent, we'd use the higher end of the dose. So, for a 78lb dog, we'd use 6x50mg tablets. Though to ensure this is enough to calm him for the trip, you may wish to consider trying the half dose or even full prior to the trip to ensure he tolerates it and that it has the desired effect.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.