Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Morning Dr.! time since we've talked. I hope you're doing…

Customer Question
Morning Dr. Michael! Long time since...
Morning Dr. Michael!
Long time since we've talked. I hope you're doing well.
I'm here to talk to you about Kailee. She just turned one about two weeks ago.
She got very ill yesterday. She was very lethargic yesterday. She ate breakfast yesterday normally. Her energy was good. She kept sleeping though and that was not normal for her. She seemed like she was very groggy. I kept watching her not sure what was going on. Around dinner time she had no appetite. I couldn't even lure her with a piece of cheese or bite of hot dog which normally she'd go nuts about. I kept watching her and her energy stayed low. She did poop last night and pee. But then I noticed her inner ears and gums were very pale. Her ears were whitish, which they never are. I noticed her breathing got slightly labored then. So I packed it up and took her to the emergency vet. They took xrays and said some of the loops of her bowels were pulled together and they were suspecting a linear foreign body. She also had a temperature of about 105. They wanted to keep her to do a barium study. That was about midnight last night. They just called and said that the barium is mostly still in her stomach and she had delayed gastric emptying. They don't know if she has some kind of stomach blockage or not. They have her on antibiotics. They want to see how it goes with some more time and when the radiologist comes in to read the xrays. So they don't really know what's going on. They said the whitish ears and gums might have been her body pulling fluids from extremities to deal with the digestive issue. Her fever has come down to 103. Her blood work showing infection and/or inflammation. She also just had her first heat about two weeks ago.
She went to a new groomer for the first time two days ago also. I don't know if she could have eaten something weird there. So, I'm very worried about what it might be. Either the bowel loops being pulled together or a stomach obstruction, although if it was her stomach that wouldn't explain the bowel loop issue. She did have some tenderness in her abdomen. Any ideas?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Hi Customer, I'm sorry to hear of this with Kailee. Regretfully, I'm getting on a plane for Nuevo Puerto Vallarta and I can't continue on here with you. I won't have a laptop in the jungle where I'm going. I'll opt out which will allow another vet to help you. It's best if you remove the "Morning Dr. Michael" which alerts my colleagues to defer to me. Mea culpa!

Have a safe trip Dr. Michael!

I'm back. I can't believe that nobody else helped you. Mea culpa. Let me know if you still need help, Customer.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian