Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 65lb labradoodle has developed 2 hotspots. We think from

Customer Question

My 65lb labradoodle has developed 2 hotspots. We think from food allergies. He has chewed himself raw. What can we do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the Labradoodle's name and age?
Customer: Tyson is 6
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tyson?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now food allergies are very common and can often cause secondary skin infections like hot spots (moist dermatitis). With regards ***** ***** here, you may need to consider a diet trial (ie feeding a set food you know he tolerates or a hypoallergenic one like Hills Z/D for 4-6 weeks), but for the moment you will want to treat the irritation/infection that is present here. To do so, in mild causes we can start topical care. To do so, you can start by cleaning this 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). If he will let you clip/shave the hair in this area it can help get more air to the lesions and dry them out quicker. Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream +/- hydrocortisone cream. The former can help keep infection away and the latter can reduce inflammation and itchiness. As well, since we need to prevent self-trauma, after all this we can put an ecollar on your wee one to protect this.

As well, since these rashes can often be triggered by an underlying allergy and that is of particular concern for Tyson, you can also consider an antihistamine at this stage. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight every 8-12 hours) to reduce allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Overall, as long as this is not severe nor has pimples, pustules, crusting, or scabs; we can try the above. And for the longer term a food trial to find a diet that works for him is worht considering. Of course, if this is causing severe irritation or if this doesn't settle with the above; then we'd want to have this checked by your vet as systemic/oral treatment (ie antibiotics, steroids) may be needed to clear this.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** as this is the only way I am credited for my work here & allowing me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you.**

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.