Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She seems to be having difficulty jumping on to the places…

Customer Question
She seems to be...

She seems to be having difficulty jumping on to the places she usually likes to go to to sleep such as the spare bed which is right by her favourite window . She loves to look out onto the street usually but is reluctant to jump up there . yo

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is noodle

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Noodle?

She is 5 and is a labradoodle

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Noodle?

She has a tendency to have recyrrentvbouts if cystitis but seems to be passing urine and opening bowels ok at the moment

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Noodle is happy on her walks and loves chasing after a ball and retrieving it
The reluctance to jump up has been happening for about 48 hours
She’s not off her food and eating and drinking well
11/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Any history of a trauma or fall?

Does she favour any leg? If so, any swellings, tender spots, bruising, bony crunching, or joint swelling on that leg?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

When she had her last bout of cystitis, what tests did her vet do?

I’ve attached a photo of a sore on her belly
Could this be causing a problem ?

Hello again,

Now we can see these kinds of signs for a few different reasons. With that skin lesion being on her belly, I am not suspecting its involved (though its worth salt water bathing it and keeping an eye as it is mildly inflamed there). Instead, while we can see reluctance to jump as normal with limb/hip/back pain; given her Noodle's situation I suspect this could be related to her bladder. Bladder inflammation/infection (or if she may have underlying crystals/stones in the bladder) can make them reluctant to jump since that does put pressure on the abdomen. So, we'd be most suspicious of that especially if she is only on antibiotic and no dog safe pain relief (ie Rimadyl, Metacam, Onsior, etc). So, in Noodle's case, it'd be worth ringing her vet and updating them about her signs. As they have recently checked her, they will be in a position to consider the likelihood of orthopaedic discomfort for her and would know if stones/crystals are a worry for her (which they should be checking for if she is prone to cystitis). Most importantly, they should be able to dispense one of those pain relief options so we can ease her signs and get this settled for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Thank you that makes sense
She seems a little better but I’ll ask the vet about investigations for stones
Thanks so much

You are very welcome, my dear.

That is good to hear and I do think that is best. :)

All the best,

Dr. B.

*************************************************

Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**