Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog had back surgery back in September 2016 when she run…

Customer Question
My dog had back...

My dog had back surgery back in September 2016 when she run under the shed following a rabbit. She damaged her back and was unable to walk and was peeing everywhere. I took her to the ER recommended by the vet for surgery and they removed two broken disks. They gave me a chance of recovery of 50/50. It has been 1 year since then. We have done all kind of recovery for her. She is standing a little bit but she is not walking yet. I am very upset because I don't know what else to do. I have run out of money to take her to any other places. I am dedicated to her but I wish there was something to make her walk again.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No. There is none.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name?

Pecky

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pecky?

No. I feel so sorry to see her laying down in the sofa. I take her out once a day in her wheelchair and she runs like in 4 legs

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 4 days by:
11/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that no one has reached out to you before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

Good morning. Well, I was wondering if you could give me some advice on how to get my dog recovered faster so she can start walking. She stands with help but for a very short period.
'

Can you share video of what she's capable of doing on her own as far as locomotion?

Have you considered a cart for her if she's able to use the front end but not the back end?

They told me a cart is no good for recovering. Is that true?

For recovery, that is true. However, if it's been a year since surgery and she's not walking on her own she's probably within that lower percentile that will never walk normally again and she's past the point of recovery. Most dogs recover within a few weeks and continually improve but it doesn't sound like this has happened for Pecky.

Additionally, the best approach is going to be a recheck with the surgeon. If this cannot be afforded at this time the best approach will be giving her the quality of life that she deserves by using the cart to allow her to be mobile and active at her own pace (assuming she's not harming herself).

Checking in. How is your companion doing today?