Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog threw up and was able to.have a normal poop. he has…

Customer Question
My dog threw up and...
My dog threw up and was able to.have a normal poop. he has not eaten and is lathargic. He is lying down but has walked around slowlyl Should he be brought to an emergency vet Yezterday he ate fine then threw up at 4 a.m
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How old is your dog?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- How much does he weigh?

4- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

5- Is he arching his back?

13
no
15 pounds
maybe some salt or fertizer
no
his tail.is down can walk but lathargic

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

i just saw this.I walked away to.see if he was still.laying in his bed ill give you the time right now .

Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. In on older dog, common causes are pancreatitis, kidney or liver disease, tumors, etc. to name a few causes. In response to your question, if he is very lethargic I would have him checked by ER veterinarian, it is important to rule out pancreatitis as it could be fatal if untreated. If you decide not to go to ER vet this is what you can do until he is seen by your family vet in the morning:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 4-6 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 4-6 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, he can continue to have water. Leave him without food until seen by your veterinarian in the morning. After 12-16 hours you can offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

dr peter,he has not vomited for hrs and he had a normal.bowel.movement twice and has gone out side walking slow and urinated he is just resting now. His stools were hard. He just does not want to eat.I gave him a touch of water his?stomach is not extended . I can go to the emergency vet if necesary I heard you guys were good thought i would give it a shot. He was in for a physical and blood work was normal. Thyroud was a bit low was suppose to take him.in again for another blood test in a month

Thank you for the clarification. It sounds like he is very stable. I would start him on the Pepcid AC this will help him to not vomit. And, if he drank water and is holding it down this is great. Observe him, if he vomits then fast him as described above. Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands-on examination.

Dr. Peter

He is breathing normal and if i pull at his paw he yanks it back. I have had digs live to 18 and am a?touch amazed that he vomited at 4 a.m and We gave him water with a cuo. He has asked fir food by standing over his bowl like normal he looks at the bowl of water and does not drink more than a?few licks. he can walk but slowly. I guess my question is should I take him in to.the emergency hospital or be patient ? I am.not an alarmist just worried he is one of two shitx zus ( brother and sister)

He sounds very stable and can wait to see your vet in the morning.

Your pretty sure about that? i am.watching him.breathing normal and sleeping on and off

I can't give you a 100% guarantee, but, based on what you are describing he sounds very stable. Now, if you are asking me what is the best option. Then, I would say have him checked by ER veterinarian for a hands-on examination.

not ask8ng for 100 per cent guarentee just if I am.over reacting? if not I am taking him to emergency he is laying in bed with me and breathing normal.just worried he has not eaten since this morning just a few cups of water size of a nyqil cup
refered me to someone else just was going to rate that is rude of dr peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian