Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has not had a bowel movement in 11 days, my vet says…

Customer Question
My dog has not...

My dog has not had a bowel movement in 11 days, my vet says this is normal. She did have bladder surgery on 11/2 and her diet has not changed. Before her surgery I would call Rocki the "poopie GIrl" as she would poop 2 or 3 times a day. She is eating her normal diet and drinking her normal amount of water. I am at odds with my vet (who has been ROcki's doctor for the past 7 years) in that "what goes in must come out".

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Rocky, female 10 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rocky?

I have been to her vet four times this past week, the last time on Thursday. He still says that her not having a bowel movement in 10 days is normal.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

How much does Rocky weigh?

Friend, in response to your question, it is not normal for a dog to go 11 days without having a bowel movement if they are eating. It is normal that after a dog has fasted for anesthesia they can go 2-3 days without having a bowel movement. But, if they are eating they normally do have a bowel movement within 2-3 days post the anesthesia/surgery. I would recommend you give Rocky some milk. You see, milk normally causes diarrhea in dogs. But, in cases of constipation, it will act as a soft stool softener. If she does not have a bowel movement within 12 hours of giving her milk I would have her checked by your vet for x-rays as an initial screening test.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon! Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian