Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 7 year old Japanese Chin seems to have an enlarged

Customer Question
Hello.... My 7 year old...
Hello.... My 7 year old Japanese Chin seems to have an enlarged spleen. X rays & Ultrasound have been done & she does not have cancer. Her bloodwork is good & recently was on a round of antibiotics after having a hernia removed. I was wondering if Milk Thistle serves a purpose for the spleen as it does for the liver. She had no apparent issues but she does lie around a lot more than she used to. I'll be taking her back to our Vet next week to have her stitches removed but I was just curious to get someone's opinion on the use of Milk Thistle.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Although this is not a common use, it is used to detoxify organs so although it might be of some assistance to the spleen it certainly will not harm the spleen. Milk thistle has been used in traditional herbal medicine for thousands of years – its recorded use dates back to the 1st century. Over the centuries milk thistle was used for many ailments including disorders of the liver, kidney, spleen.

In some individuals may cause:

• Appetite loss;
  • Bloating;
  • Diarrhea;
  • Indigestion;
  • Intestinal gas;
  • Nausea

I definitely would still chat with your veterinarian about this use as a precaution since they have her full medical history but there is little harm in using milk thistle in a healthy dog

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian