Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Australian Shepherd 11 yrs old. Came back from a 2 hour walk…

Customer Question
Australian Shepherd 11 yrs...

Australian Shepherd 11 yrs old. Came back from a 2 hour walk in the woods. We stayed on the trail. When we came back she laid down and worn gert up unless we put a lead on her. She would not come up the steps to the living area and chose instead to lay at the bottom of the steps. She has Never done that. She drank water she won’t eat

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the Australian Shepherd. What is the Australian Shepherd's name?

Ricochet we call her Rikki

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rikki?

Over the last month or so I’ve seen what seems to be some cognitive or changes in her hearing. I’ll say you want to eat. Or go for a walk and I may have to repeat several times or make other movements to the door. Also our house is being remodeledsobshes around building materials

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr G, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr G
Dr G, Dog Veterinarian
Hi I'm Dr G. I will try to help you with Rikki.
Can you check a few things for me?
Is Rikki's gums pale/white or nice and pick if you lift up her lip? You can Check the gums or inside of the lip.
Is she looking bloated at all?
Is she breathing really fast or really shallow compared to normal?
Does she normally take a walk like this and is normally fine after it?
I'm worried that Rikki could be very ill and I'm trying to get a sense of how urgent this is.
If she is just over tired or sore, you can bring her favorite snacks to try to get her to eat and maybe use the lead to get her to a comfy spot or blanket. But if we are worried about other issues, she needs an ER vet.
I'm going to opt out as I head to bed. This will allow another Dr to answer your question tonight.
If Rikki has pale gums, swollen or bloated belly, fast breathing, still really out of it, etc she should go right to an ER vet. She could have a heart problem, internal bleeding, electrolyte problem, etc. Good luck with Rikki!