Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My huskey right eyes has had yellow mucus coming out of his…

Customer Question
My huskey right eyes...

My huskey right eyes has had yellow mucus coming out of his eye. And is trying to keep in closed but I don't see anything in it

Veterinarian's Assistant: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?

Its been fine and no we haven't had it checked it started today this morning his last check up was about 6 months ago

Veterinarian's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He's only 1 year old

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am sorry to hear your dog has this discharge. I can give you some basic guidelines for this evening but if this persists please consider a veterinary exam. Especially if you are able to view the cornea and it is hazy/ blue or the eye seems swollen.

- Saline flush for contact lenses every 8-12 hours to flush the eye. Not solution but flush

- No rubbing! If there is no corneal ulceration this can create one but if there is one it can definitely exacerbate the tear and increase risk to the eye

- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound to help relieve the itch and allow your pet to rest more comfortably

- A moist towel in the freezer for 30 minutes then applied can help numb and provide relief on an as needed basis

If flushing has not improved the eye then I would advise a veterinary exam to ensure there is not a corneal ulcer that requires medical therapy or another condition that is causing the eye to close due to pain.

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today, I am online another 25 minutes tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian