Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dried blood around anus Cold damp nose Loss of interest Lack…

Customer Question
Dried blood around anus Cold damp...
Dried blood around anus
Cold damp nose
Loss of interest
Lack of appetite
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Did you check the skin around the anal sphincter for cuts?

2- Any vomiting or diarrhea?

3- Did he get into anything?

4- Is he lethargic?

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, it is very likely that the dry blood around the anus is coming from the rectum if you are not seeing evidence of a laceration around the anus. When there is blood coming from the rectum it is a sign of inflammation in the large intestines (colon). Unfortunately, I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, in a young dog, common causes are ingestion of a foreign body, infections, parasites, etc. to name a few causes. To determine the exact underlying cause he will need a hands-on examination by a vet, x-rays and fecal analysis as an initial screening test. Strongly recommend having him checked by a veterinarian as soon as you can. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium.

2- Change his diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with a veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian