Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog swalowed a leg piece of bacon without chewing it

Customer Question
Second opinion] My dog swalowed...
Second opinion] My dog swalowed a leg piece of bacon without chewing it about an hour before she ate dinner. Thirty minutes later she became very uncomfortable I could hear and feel her stomach rumbling and it was hard and just moving in all directions She just wanted to lay down. It was that way almost all night long. She was even moaning. She was asleep when I had to leave this morning. When I got home this afternoon, she was shaking, yelped when I tried to pick her up. Was afraid to go down a stair to go outside. She had a bowel movement and pee. I brought her in tried to feed her and she did not want or eat anything. Wrapped her in a blanket and have been holding her and she has not moved. Could she have a blockage? She is a 12 lb female chihuahua. Vet is closed for the weekend. She is 6 yrs old current on all shots
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

My primary concern with this ingestion is risk of pancreatitis with the ingestion of the fat. CLICK HERE for more information on pancreatitis in dogs and symptoms to be monitoring for

First, please remove the water. Even if there is not active vomiting we want to minimize anything orally to stop the nausea and abdominal cramping resulting in vomiting but also to allow the pancreas to rest and recover. I know the thought is your pet needs to drink to maintain hydration but if there is actively vomiting even water there is risk of becoming more dehydrated with water intake.

If there is no improvement then please consider having your dog seen by a veterinarian sooner rather than later with this history. They can give injectable medications to bypass the intestinal tract and hopefully get the nausea under control but also if this is pancreatitis bloodwork will confirm this and iv therapy will be required to get your pet feeling better and home again more comfortable

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours in 6-8 hours

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one teaspoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting her comfortable

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman