Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is peeeing blood. Buddy age 15. My dog is peeing

Customer Question
My dog is peeeing...

My dog is peeeing blood

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Buddy age 15

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

My dog is peeing blood

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

There are many reasons to have blood in the urine. We often think of infection but also crystals or stones in the urinary tract, masses in the urinary tract or clotting disorders are possible causes. If he is an un-neutered male then prostatic cysts or abscess are possible causes as well.
Are his gums and tongue white, pale pink or bubble gum pink? If they are nice and pink then he likely hasn't lost enough blood to make him anemic.
Is he bleeding only when he passes urinate (is he constantly straining and dribbling urine) or does the bleeding seem independent of passing urine?
If the bleeding is when he passes urine then concerns would be a genitourinary tract infection, crystals or stones in his urinary tract, a clotting abnormality or a mass in his urinary tract.
If the bleeding is independent of him passing urine the concerns would be trauma to his penis, a mass in his prepuce or on his penis, or a clotting abnormality.
So until we have a diagnosis a recommendation for treatment is hard.
If he were my patient I'd start with a urinalysis with culture and radiographs of his abdomen to look at his kidneys and bladder for signs of stones and the size and shape of his prostate. If he had pale gums signifying significant blood loss then I would want to check his clotting function too.

If money was very tight and there were signs of infection on the urinalysis then an antibiotic prescription for 10 days would be reasonable to start. But if I saw lots of crystals or abnormal looking cells on the urinalysis I'd warn the owner that things may be more serious. And I'd recommend a recheck of his urine at the end of the antibiotic therapy. If there was still blood then radiographs or an ultrasound of his bladder/kidneys is needed.
All you can do for him at home is encourage fluid intake to flush out his urinary tract. Add water or low salt beef or chicken broth to his food or feed him canned food.
Give him ice cubes. Offer him fresh water frequently.
And make sure he gets out frequently to urinate.
If he is straining but unable to pass urine, is vomiting or refuses to eat, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), has a tense, painful abdomen with gentle pressure, or his gums become very pale it is time for emergency veterinary care.
Let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian