Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Havanees dog was attacked by a coyote. He has a small…

Customer Question
My Havanees dog was...

My Havanees dog was attacked by a coyote. He has a small puncture wound on his back but it is not bleeding. He is walking ok no limping and does not appear to have any other injuries. Do you feel he should be checked out or should we just watch him to see if anything develops.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Don't see a wound on his foot

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Havanese's name and age?

Ozzie and he is one year old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ozzie?

No nothing. He is healthy and is up to date with his shots

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Ozzie's attack. That is good that there doesn't appear to be overt bleeding or more outwardly looking wounds. I'm going to be honest and say that I'd recommend having him looked at. The reason is that these bites are punctures into the body and they could have pushed fur down into the wounds along with saliva that can have some pretty bad bacteria. These wounds can look not that bad to begin with, but if a bad infection gets fired up, then they can be a lot harder to deal with. The sooner a bite case gets on antibiotics as a preventative measure, the better. A trip to the vet / ER clinic can let them clip and clean the wounds and then start him on antibiotics to help keep this from progressing and getting worse. They can also get him started on pain medication as he is uncomfortable from this - even if he doesn't overtly act like it.