Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a shih tzu dog with a collapse tract and hasnt eat or…

Customer Question
I have a shih...

I have a shih tzu dog with a collapse tract and hasnt eat or drank water fot 3 days how long can he go like this and what can i do

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Chipper

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chipper?

He is 16 years old and almost blind and does not hear

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Beth, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Beth and I'll do my best to help you today! To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a moment to review your question - I am not the fastest typist so it may take me a few moments to type out a response.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions, this service is used for general information only and is not a substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

I'm sorry you Chipper isn't feeling well, many small dogs have problems with collapsing trachea. Is he having coughing or breathing difficulty right now?

no

Ok good - You definitely know him best and I do think something is not right, it's really hard that they can't tell us how they are feeling or where it hurts if they are acting off because they are in pain, they can be very good at hiding it. But if he seems to be breathing normally right now, there probably isn't anything related to the collapsing trachea issue.

Have you tried to offer him anything special beyond his usual dog food?

Any vomiting or diarrhea? Anything he might have gotten into in the past few days?