Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has blood after she - no blood in the poop - eating like…

Customer Question
She has blood after...

She has blood after she poops - no blood in the poop - eating like a horse, drinking water (English bulldog). Eating boiled check and rice. Passes gas - stinks bad.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Ellie - 7

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ellie?

No. She never misses a meal - is about 67 lbs. It happened last week. I gave her pepto, rice and chicken and she was fine - started again today.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am very sorry to hear about your girl Ellie's rectal bleeding. I am glad to hear that she seems to feel fine otherwise.

Of course anyone would be concerned about seeing blood. The fresher the blood appears the closer the source is to her rectum.

The important factor in all of this is how she feels, and since she feels great otherwise then that is a good sign.

There is a condition in dogs called hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. These dogs have profuse dark, jelly-clot like, bloody diarrhea. They are very sick dogs and get dehydrated quickly so they need immediate care. Thus if she gets lethargic and/or begins vomiting an emergency veterinary visit is best.

Seeing blood after the stool can indicate colitis or inflammation of the large intestine, which can be due to stress, a change in diet, parasites, a viral or bacterial infection, inflammatory bowel disease or even a food allergy. Rarely a mass in the colon can be the cause, or exposure to anticoagulant rodenticides.

Another possibility for rectal bleeding is an anal gland infection. These are scent glands that are located just inside the rectum and an infection can cause a bloody discharge, though should not cause loose stools. Have her stools been loose or normal?

If her stools are loose with blood then that indicates colitis. A raw, irritated colon can take a few days to heal. Do you know if she got into anything that may have started all of this? The bleeding should clear completely with treatment over the next 2 to 3 days.

If her stools have not been soft at all she should be checked by her regular veterinarian and her anal glands should be checked.

Well worth checking at least a couple fresh stool samples too as parasite eggs/cysts are shed intermittently and this lead to intermittent blood in the stools. The eggs/cysts may be picked up on the second sample or third test even if the first is negative.

If she has had soft stools and still feels well now though we can try some things at home.

If her appetite is off and her stomach is gurgling she may have some stomach upset and reflux that can go along with bloody stools.

To try and settle her stomach today you can try either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These will reduce stomach acid and should help if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation. You can skip this if his appetite is fine and she doesn't seem nauseous.

I would not feed her any food for 24 hours. This should help stop gut spasms and restore normal gut motility. Small amounts of water or ice cubes given frequently are fine as she needs fluids after all that she has lost with bloody stools. You can give her pedialyte to drink to replace electrolytes too but Gatorade is much too high in sugar which can make colon irritation worse.

Today even with the fast you can start Kao-pectate at 1/2ml per pound or 1/2 tablespoon per 15 pounds of body weight every 12 hours. This will coat her irritated gi tract as well as absorbing bacterial toxins. You can find kao-pectate at the drug store.

If she has a tense painful abdomen, continues to have bloody diarrhea with no signs of improvement after being on kao pectate for 24 hours, becomes very lethargic, begins vomiting or runs a fever greater than 103.5F then she really must be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible. Make sure to take a fresh stool sample with you when you go.

After her food fast start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white skinless chicken), all fats and juices drained off, mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day. You might wish to add 2 tablespoon of canned pumpkin to each meal as fiber helps soothe an irritated colon. I recommend adding probiotics like Fortiflora, Proviable or Benebac to her meals daily to re-establish normal gut bacteria levels too.

Once she feels better (no bloody stools for 48 hours) start mixing in her regular dog food very slowly. Less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert her back.

If your pup begins vomiting and feeling poorly though it would be best that she see a veterinarian as anything you give orally will just come back up worsening her dehydration.

If his becomes a long term issue for her then feeding a higher fiber diet may be best. Sometimes a prescription food very high in fiber like Hills r/d or Purina Veterinary Diets OM is needed.

Best of luck with your pup, please let me know if you have any further questions.