Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 4-year-old female German Short Hair Pointer (65lbs+-) is…

Customer Question
My 4-year-old female German Short...
My 4-year-old female German Short Hair Pointer (65lbs+-) is very lethargic and not herself. My 7 year old male is 100%. Two day ago she vomited twice what to me looked like bile. For the next 2 days she has been fine but today she is definitely off form. We live in the Virgin Islands and were affected by the hurricanes. Prior to the vomiting and the days after I have seen her eating grass and some vine weeds but not excessively. There have be a lot off rats and my dogs do hunt them. The rat poison around my home are in dog secure boxes and the poison itself states is not supposed to be transmittable through dog rat contact (i.e. body fluids) She may also have come in contact with weed killer (roundup) but that was over a week ago. Have a call into local vet but thing here are not what they used to be and he may be dealing with his own recovery effort.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
My 4-year-old female German Short Hair Pointer (65lbs+-) is very lethargic and not herself. My 7 year old male is 100%. Two day ago she vomited twice what to me looked like bile. For the next 2 days she has been fine but today she is definitely off form. We live in the Virgin Islands and wereaffected by the hurricanes. Prior to the vomiting and the days after I have seen her eating grass and some vine weeds but not excessively. There have be a lot off rats and my dogs do hunt them. The rat poison around my home are in dog secure boxes and the poison itself states is not supposed to be transmittable through dog rat contact (i.e. body fluids) She may also have come in contact with weed killer (roundup) but that was over a week ago. Have a call into local vet but thing here are not what they used to be and he may be dealing with his own recovery effort.
11/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here.

Thank you for the detailed history.

Has she had any more episodes of vomiting since two days ago?

Is she eating or drinking?

Paul

No further episodes of vomiting but lethargic and poor appetite , licked ice cubes and refused bacon but ate 2 tsp of peanut butter

The Roundup can cause GI signs like inappetance and vomiting. But I dont know if we can blame everything on that.

Are you confident that she came in contact with it?

Paul

she definitely came in some contact but the amount is hard to determine. Her eyes are bright, gums pink, No additional vomiting that we have seen, but no real appetite she even turned down bacon this morning. Mucus and saliva seem to be normal. No rectal bleeding still lethargic no sign of being in pain. Nose is cool and wet, Body temp is warm but not alarming. She just wants to rest, she will get up on her own and move around house and property but does not go far. Not herself.

Okay.

I think that we are going to have to manage her symptomatically today. Hopefully we can get her sorted out so that she does not have to be examined etc etc. BUT if we are not able to then she should be checked and her blood and urine tested. Something like Addison's disease (not enough steroids in body) could also be causing these signs.

Are you able to buy Zantac or Pepcid AC there?

And what about pedialyte?

Paul

we can get all of that. She is drinking water..

Super!

Lets give the Zantac at 1.0 mg/kg three times a day.

I would substitute the water with pedialyte so that we can get some electrolytes into her.

Stick with the cooked hamburger and rice and add garlic or onion powder to it

Can also try NO sodium chicken broth

And update me in four hours.

Make sense?

Paul

while still not herself she seems to be doing a bit better

Hi.

Thanks for the update.

Glad that she is feeling a bit better.

Did she eat anything since your last post?
Paul

still not better, got her to eat some yesterday. seems to have a bit of vertigo when coming off bed or going down stairs. Taking her to vet today. Seems to be viral but unsure

Could also be something like Addison's disease.

Good idea to have her checked.

Bo you know Randy Callies?

He is also in Virgin Islands.

Can you please update me after your visit I will be glad to review the lab work with you.

And please dont forget to rate me- That is how I get paid.

Thanks, Paul