Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dogs face is breaking around nose and snout. Rumor he's 22…

Customer Question
Dogs face is breaking...

Dogs face is breaking around nose and snout

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Rumor he's 22 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

I told you Rumor

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

He did get into poison ivy a little more than a week ago

Veterinarian's Assistant: Did you see what the dog ate?

Nothing

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

So sorry to hear your dog has this area of concern on the muzzle! I can definitely give you recommendations to minimize infection and reduce healing time but if there is discharge or it is not healing then please have your vet evaluate the lesion to ensure additional medication is not warranted.

1.) Limit rubbing on furniture and carpet as much as possible. You can do this with an e-collar available at your local pet store. Rubbing will increase irritation and inflammation

2.) Use ivory soap and water or dog oatmeal shampoo to the area twice daily with ten minute contact time before rinsing and tap dry

3.) I prefer to not apply salves or ointments because it traps in moisture to the area and reduces healing or delays healing time and on the muzzle it will likely be ingested or potentially rubbed into the eyes

4.) Remove any scabbing that occurs with healing. Again it also traps in moisture and then can actually abscess

5.) If there is licking or rubbing please begin benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours for reducing the itch but may cause mild sedation.

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions i can assist with or clarify today. If it is related to the poison ivy it might require steroids +/- oral antibiotics to fully resolve

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian