Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Patches on her skin not raised thinking it might be changes…

Customer Question
Patches on her skin...

Patches on her skin not raised thinking it might be changes in her skin but she has lost hair on her lefs

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Izzy and she is 11 weeks

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Izzy?

I bought her thinking she was 10 weeks when she was actually 5 weeks based on my vet

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that your girl Izzy has patches of hairloss on her legs.

In a young dog with this sort of description, especially if the pup isn't especially itchy, I would be highly suspicious of demodectic mange. Demodex lesions are most commonly seen on the face and legs. These are pictures of dogs with demodex mites showing a few lesions on the face and on the side of the body:

http://www.askavetquestion.com/images/demodex.jpg

http://www.boxerforums.com/attachments/health-concerns/13697d1272599874-demodex-mites-cimg2895.jpg

Demodex mites are present in the hair follicles of all dogs. In some young dogs with immature immune systems or older dogs with immune system suppression from other disease processes the mites get overpopulated leading to hair loss and erythematous skin. In cases where there are secondary bacterial skin infections the dog may be itchy but in most cases they are not.

Your veterinarian can diagnose the demodex mite with a skin scraping or skin biopsy. Treatment is usually not done if the infection is limited to one spot. We usually simply let the dog's immune system mature and get the mites under control. If the spot is growing in size or there are multiple lesions (as it sounds like your pup has) then treatment is daily ivermectin therapy for a couple weeks past two negative skin scrapings. Once treatment is started we need to be careful not to stop too soon or the mites will be harder to get rid of.

Other possible causes for sparse hair and red skin are sarcoptic mange, although those dogs are extremely itchy, a deep bacterial infection, or a fungal infection (ringworm).

Ideally your girl should see her veterinarian for a skin scraping and possibly a fungal culture. A diagnosis will give us an idea of how she needs to be treated.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks very much for the pictures. Her belly looks pretty normal. The brown pigment splotches are completely normal variations in skin pigment (like freckles in people).

The first picture is slightly sparsely haired in comparison to usual, but the second one really looks unusual. That picture would be more typical of early demodex, where the coat starts to thin and the fur falls out, but before we see thickened, darkened skin coloration. Those changes take time to happen.

I would skin scrape her to look for mites.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****