Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

His bottom left canine is very loose he is just a puppy tho…

Customer Question
His bottom left canine...

His bottom left canine is very loose he is just a puppy tho and he has been losing all his teeth the past few weeks he was almost toothless for awhile lol he is a shitzu poodle mix 6 pounds and he just hit where he is old enough to get his rabies but can I just pull his tooth he is hurting and has not been able to eat much

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

Just wanted to know if it would be ok to pull his tooth myself

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

His mouth

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

It's discolored

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the dog eating normally?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK, abnormal eating. What is the dog's name and age?

Gizmo shitzu poodle mix 6 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Gizmo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gizmo?

1,205 Satisfied Customers Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant Welcome! What's going on with your dog? You His bottom left canine is very loose he is just a puppy tho and he has been losing all his teeth the past few weeks he was almost toothless for awhile lol he is a shitzu poodle mix 6 pounds and he just hit where he is old enough to get his rabies but can I just pull his tooth he is hurting and has not been able to eat much

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am really sorry to hear about Gizmo's loose tooth and while I understand the temptation to try and pull it, I don't advise it.

Even though it seems loose there very likely will be a root piece or several pieces that are cracked and if you try and pull it those fragmented pieces will remain leading to an abscess. That will be very difficult to treat.

Since this is a canine tooth it has a relatively long root and the adult tooth is erupting just under that baby tooth. Given its dark color I am worried this tooth was damaged and possibly the pulp cavity is infected. If that is the case this infection can spread to the tissue around the adult canine or jaw bone around it leading to permanent damage.

I advise letting your veterinarian take a look. This may not be as loose as it seems or there may be more than a loose tooth going on. Given his discomfort I am very concerned about an infection.

My final concern is that we never pull a tooth without placing a endotracheal tube so that any chunks of infection, tooth pieces or blood don't end up in the lungs, which would predispose to developing horrible pneumonia.

You have no way of protecting his airways at home.

If the tooth does fall out, or you do decide to pull it please save the tooth to show your veterinarian. That way they can evaluate the tooth and look for evidence of a root fracture, thus know where to retrieve root pieces.

Best of luck with your fellow, let me know if you have any further questions.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****