Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has epilepsy for the past 6 years and has been on…

Customer Question
My dog has epilepsy...

My dog has epilepsy for the past 6 years and has been on phenobarbital, however yesterday she has been having what looks like a mild seizure for long periods of time. We have been to 2 vets and the emergency clinic last night. They have put her on keppra along with phenobarbital but these issues are still continuing. The emergency thought it may be a brain tumor since she favors to the left. How do I know where to take her or what to do next if the neurologist isn’t back until Monday? She is really scaring me at this point

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Lucy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucy?

Not that I know of

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. This is Dr Hill. Sorry Lucy is not doing well. Basically, if Lucy is having cluster seizures meaning more than three in a 24 period, then she should be at the emergency clinic on a valium constant rate infusion (cri) or being loaded with either the phenobarbital or keppra. They should be able to pull a phenobarb level to see if she is in a therapeutic range. In a pinch the valium cri helps to control seizures until the neurologist can do an MRI to evaluate for a tumor. Please ask any follow up questions.

If it is a brain tumor and the blood work comes back fine for the phenobarbital levels are there treatments for that? Do they tend to work?

If it is a brain tumor, the treatment depends on the location of the mass. I worked as an emergency veterinarian at a primary neurology facility and saw several cats and dogs recovering from brain tumor excisions. If they are operable, they tend to do very well.

As for the valium cri's, they work very well for cluster seizures and do not seem to make the patient feel off.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian