Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog just age 150mg of Rimadyl and she's 28 lbs. Shes only…

Customer Question
My dog just age...

My dog just age 150mg of Rimadyl and she's 28 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?

Shes only suppose to take half a tablet once a day

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

She seems fine so far but is that too much for her to ingest at one time?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

No not yet but was wonder find if that dose is dangerous

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is your dog eating normally?

She just ate her food and the Rimadyl fell on the floor & she gobbled down a 100mg tablet after I had already just given her the 50mg dose

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK, abnormal eating. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Princess

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 11 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue and as I am typing out a response.

Your dog ingested about 12mg/kg of this medication. You can start seeing stomach ulceration at 20mg/kg and kidney toxicity at 40mg/kg. So she is safe... you should not see any long term issues from this one time overdose. Do not give her any more of this medication until tomorrow. I would feed her a bland diet of boiled chicken breast mixed with white rice for the next 2 days just to be safe and I would give her Prilosec 20mg once today or Pepcid A/C 5mg once today. Good luck!

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service (5 star rating), please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are appreciated... it's always nice to get tipped for your services. Best of luck.

Are you there?

I am wrapping up for the morning here, but I need to make sure that you do not have any other questions for me before I sign off. To help signal to me whether or not we are done, please either rate my service (preferable), or say "thank you" to indicate that you are happy with my service and we are done talking for now, or please ask me more follow up questions. Thanks!

Hi there... just following up and checking in on Princess. How are things going?

Hi there... this is still in my "open questions" list, so I will need to keep replying and checking in until I hear back from you that you do not need further assistance. To do that, you can either rate my service, or you can reply with "Thanks" to indicate that you are pleased with my response and do not need further assistance. Thanks!