Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 4 month German pointer woke up vomiting and shaking 2days…

Customer Question
My 4 month German...

My 4 month German pointer woke up vomiting and shaking 2days ago - brought her to vet hospital right away - they did X- ray and blood work diagnosed pneumonia and prescribed amoxicillin and clavulanate - it's been 4 doses almost 48 hrs - no more vomiting shaking but very lethargic and not eating. I can maybe get her to eat 3tbsp of puréed turkey/sweet potato

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

She is drinking a bit - urinating - not pooing in past 24 hrs but I think her system is clear because not eating.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
I am wondering how long we wait for improvement before taking her back - last visit was $1000 so want to give medication time but thought would see more improvement in 48 hrs
I need to go offline until 10am
11/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 5 months ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I apologize for the delay in you receiving a reply. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I am so sorry to hear there is not significant improvement.

Based on what you report I am concerned that either she needs additional therapy to help with the pneumonia (With pneumonia some dogs get very sick and may require hospitalization with intravenous fluid therapy to aid in improving or a different antibiotic). Or she may be experiencing a reaction to the antibiotic which can cause vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy. If you feel she has worsened in the past 24 hours, then I highly recommend you have her rechecked today. If she can be seen by her same veterinarian that is a bonus. I would not want her to go the weekend if she is getting dehydrated.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian