Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have two dogs and one of them had two fleas so I washed…

Customer Question
I have two dogs...

I have two dogs and one of them had two fleas so I washed them with flea and tick shampoo and put that ointment on them. But the dog that didn’t have fleas is very itchy. And the one that had fleas, is completely fine.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Maggie and she’s 1 year and 2 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maggie?

I don’t think so, this is the only problem I have had with her so far

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

With regards ***** ***** situation, I'd note that it is possible to see some dogs become itchy from a single flea bite (a concern if they were in her environment) due to an allergic reaction to the saliva of the flea. So, this would be my suspicion for Maggie and to address it you can try her on an OTC antihistamine. Most often we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight every 8-12 hours) or Cetirizine (ie. 0.5 mg per pound of their body weight every 12-24 hours). We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness. Of course, check with your vet first if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications. And as long as she settles, we are happy. Of course, if her signs linger or we were to see skin changes (ie pustules/pimples, etc) then we'd want her seen to rule out any bacterial infection +/- start strong long acting steroids if needed to nip this in the bud for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.