Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Is this real? Husk husky. So his dew claw has been bugging…

Customer Question
Hello Pearl! is this...

Hello Pearl! is this real?

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Husk husky

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the husky?

So his dew claw has been bugging him and we used clippers and clipped some off. it looks swollen at the end of the nail

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the husky's name and age?

Koda and hes 8 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Koda?

So his nail looks hollow the day after we clipped it but hes licking it a lot and it looks like its really hurting him :( and there is a white part noticeable. is it a nerve?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Did the claw bleed when you cut it?

Is it swollen at the base where it connects to the foot?

Can you take a photo so I can see what you are seeing? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.

Hello again,

Based on your photos, it looks like we have a bit of infection brewing there. Given that he has been licking it and seems uncomfortable, I do suspect you have either exposed to knicked the nail bed. Therefore, we are going to want to start some supportive care. To start, since we need to prevent self-trauma or any more saliva (since its bacteria filled) from getting in here, consider putting an ecollar on your wee one to protect this. Furthermore, we can flush this 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream to help keep infection away. Of course, if we find this isn't settling down over the weekend or if he remains very sore, then we'd want his local vet to assess this as we may need to put him onto dog safe anti-inflammatories +/- antibiotics to nip this in the bud.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** as this is the only way I am credited for my work here & allowing me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you.**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.