Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My three year male has had diarrhea for two days have tried…

Customer Question
My three year male has...
My three year male has had diarrhea for two days have tried rice and hamburger. Now tonight his back legs have become weak and can't bare weight.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Three days ago he ate lots of cat food. W
11/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

What color has the diarrhea been? Any blood?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

How much is a lot of cat food?

Diarrhea is mustard yellow. Gums are pink and moist. Did not eat anything harmful that I know of. Cat food was about eight cups.

Hello again,

Now that is quite a bit of cat food he has had and that could certainly cause a few days of diarrhea. Furthermore, dry food will absorb water from the GI and affect electrolytes which could lead to weakness. So, if he isn't favouring a particular leg, these issues could be linked. Of course, we can also see diarrhea with GI infections, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections and lameness of a leg can be seen with other issues (ie trauma, strains, tendon damage, nerve damage, etc) as well.

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his gut. To start, the light diet you noted is fine but make sure the hamburger is lean and boiled since too much fat will continue the diarrhea. Otherwise, you could swap that for boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset/diarrhea. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion.

Furthermore, if he is very loose, then you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Finally, as dehydration is a risk and concern for the weakness, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check that he isn't dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, do make sure he doesn’t have sunken eyes and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already or he is really weak, then that would be our cue to have him seen for fluids. Otherwise you can try giving Pedialyte (48ml per kg of his weight daily) to help replenish those and see if we can help that weakness.

Overall, his signs do raise some concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle his stomach. If he cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess him and start fluids +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach, and get him back feeling like himself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Hi Nicole Winkers,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kazi. How is everything going?

Dr. B.