Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I just rescued this 6 week old pit he seems to be having…

Customer Question
I just rescued this...

I just rescued this 6 week old pit bull he seems to be having trouble pooping and just threw up a bunch of water he just drank

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

I'm not sure I just brought him home I fed him we puppie food

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

DRO

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about DRO?

No I don't think so

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Hello?
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Okay
What do need from me?
11/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

You just brought him home today?

Is he having any loose stool?

Do you see any blood or mucus in the stool?

How is his appetite?

How is his activity level?

I just brought him home today yes, has not pooped but has been trying he ate a bunch and drank a bunch but threw up all of the water he drank he's sleeping now but he had a bit of curiosity when I first brought him home

Thanks for the information. Sorry about the wait. For some reason, the website didn't notify me of your response. Most likely, it is just an adjustment, stress and change in diet issue. If his appetite seems good, and he was active; it should be okay to just monitor him. Sometimes they eat and drink too fast. That, with the addition of a different diet and stress, can cause these symptoms. They should be self limiting, though. He should still be acting normal and eating tomorrow. I would just feed him a small amount at a time, so he doesn't over eat. If he is still vomiting or doesn't have an appetite, I would have your vet check him out. The straining to defecate is usually due to inflammation in the colon (colitis), which goes along with all of this. It may resolve on its own as well. If he is still doing it tomorrow, though, I would still have your vet check him out, since it is the weekend, and your vet may not be available after Saturday morning. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how DRO is doing and to see if you have any other questions.