Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I gave her a bath and now she is acting very weak and csnt…

Customer Question
I gave her a...

I gave her a bath and now she is acting very weak and csnt hardly walk she is only 4 minths old but it is all the sudden she has not been acting diffrent until after her bath

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes no wound at all

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Penelopy

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Beth, Dog Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Beth and I'll do my best to help you today! To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a moment to review your question - I am not the fastest typist so it may take me a few moments to type out a response.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions, this service is used for general information only and is not a substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

I'm sorry Penelopy isn't feeling well :(

How long ago did you give the bath? What kind of shampoo did you use?

Does she seem to be having any breathing difficulty?

An hour ago and I used okay body wash then I use some dish soap because I seen some fleas on her and I read that they die from dish soaps (the fleas). And yes she seems like she breathing slower

Ok - Have you used any flea medication on her recently? Or just given the bath?

Do you think she may have swallowed some of the bath water?

Has she dried or is she still damp from her bath?

I'm not sure no I have not used any flea Medicine. She was fine before bath and now she is acting very slugesh and can't stand up
I do not drive to take her anywhere and I don't have money for an emergency vet
She is dried

It may not be related to the bath but it sure is mysterious. She may be having something like low blood sugar, can you get her to eat anything?

No she won't eat or drink

Do you have anything at home like Karo syrup (best), honey, or pancake syrup? That can be rubbed on the gums to get some sugar absorbed through the lining of the mouth, even if she doesn't want to swallow it.

I can try that
It's like her equalibreium is off

That is the only thing I can think of for what you would have on hand at home to try that would be helpful, and that assumes this is a low blood sugar issue. Ff she does not perk up within a few minutes, there is probably something else going on - and ideally would have her checked out by a vet tonight. Puppies can get into a lot of things, even if we don't know something is missing, and if giving something with sugar doesn't help, I would be worried about her being exposed to something potentially toxic, or an infection developing - but nothing I can think of related to the bath.

If the sugar does help perk her up, I would still keep offering some regular food to have in her system so it will hang around a bit longer. You could try some people food like bread, peanut butter, lunch meat etc.

I just thought of something she might have gotten ahomd of a 3mg melatonin

Ah - that could definitely cause drowsiness but would not be toxic. So if that was what was going on she could be very sleepy for the next 8 hours or so.

Ok so I am going to watch her closely all night and see in about 8 hours if she progresses

Yes I think that would be reasonable - a little bit of honey or syrup won't hurt either - but it won't really perk her up if she is sleepy from the melatonin.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

If the information I've provided has been helpful, I hope you'll take a moment to rate my service positively by clicking on the star rating system (or if you are not seeing the stars you can leave a written rating of 1-5, 5 being great service). Until you issue a rating of 3 or better, the website will not compensate me for helping you, and taking the time to answer these questions helps me to support my family. You'll still be able to chat with me even after giving a rating, at no further charge on this thread. My goal is to give you 5 star service - keep in mind you are rating only my help, not any site or interface issues you might have. It is valuable feedback for me and for other pet owners as they seek help for their pets.

If you'd like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drbethg/?rpt=3800