Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog got into the trash and ate chicken that I threw out

because it was old and...
My dog got into the trash and ate chicken that I threw out because it was old and had gone bad.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Blaidd is 4 years old. He is a Husky/Shepherd mix
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Blaidd?
Customer: No. He is a healthy dog.
11/11/2017
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

W​hen did he eat the bad chicken? Were there bones in it too? How much does Blaidd weigh?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
A few minutes ago. A leg bone but not the body. About 65 lbs

O​kay so at this point I would just monitor him. There are two things to watch for. A gastrointestinal blockage and a bacterial infection from the bad meat.

C​hicken bones are know to splinter so a shard could get stuck on the way up if vomiting is induced. So I would not induce vomiting.

Signs of a blockage are vomiting, lethargy, pain on abdominal palpation, and lack of appetite.

S​igns of a bacterial infection are vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, gas, abdominal pain, and possibly fever.

U​sually sign of a gastrointestinal blockage do not show up for at least 12 hours. Sign of a bacterial gastrointestinal infection usually happen 24 -48 hours after the bad food is ingested.

I​f he I still fine a week from now then you can relax and stop watching him extra closely. D​oes that make sense to you? Do you have any other questions for me? If you are all set please rate my answer by clicking on the stars at the top of the screen. That way the website know I have responded to your question. Many Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks Dr. Gabby. Blaidd is fine now. Truth be told, I was on the phone with animal poison control. They were taking a while to answer so in my impatience, I found this site. You and the other vet ended up responding at the same time! I had my husband stay on the computer with you, I stayed on the phone. Both Vets gave fabulous information, but different solutions. We weighed our discussed the two treatment suggestions, made our decision and followed through. Thank you so much.

I am so glad he is fine. You are very welcome : )

Thank you for the update

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian