Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is diabetic wouldn't eat this morning but was told to…

Customer Question
She is diabetic wouldn't...

She is diabetic wouldn't eat this morning but was told to give her shot and see if she ate tonight. She wasn't eating tonight but I put some cut up chicken in with it and she ate. She is drinking a lot of water.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Kate and she is 13

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kate?

She can't see but can navigate around the yard and in the house but today she seems like she can't find anything. crashing into everything

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience, and I'm here to help with your question about Kate.

I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but I'm glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.
To start with, please let me know what your question is for me.

While I await your reply, I'll let you know it's really reassuring she ate tonight. With that in mind, it's important to go ahead and give her insulin as directed.

Dogs with diabetes often develop cataracts and this sudden vision loss can cause them to stagger around and be disoriented. Determining if that's the case, though, can be difficult because low blood sugar can also cause staggering and disorientation.

why would she be drinking a lot of water.

Excessive thirst can result when blood sugar is too high.

Sometimes, though, paradoxically, it can result from blood sugar being too low.

It can also be caused by other illnesses, like kidney, liver, or thyroid illnesses.

That's why we rely on blood tests to determine the cause.

Does that help to answer your question at this point in time? I want to be as helpful as possible because it sounds like you have a very sick dog on your hands. I'm so sorry.

Will you be able to get her to the vet?

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. I do hope this information has been very helpful to you. If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.Thank you for using our website.

Just checking in to ask how Kate is doing today.

Thank you.

Dr. Jo

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian