Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a Bernese Mtn Dog. 6 years old about 85#. Couple

Customer Question
Hi. I have...

Hi. I have a Bernese Mtn Dog. 6 years old about 85#.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the Bernese?

Couple hours ago he became agitated...began eating grass somewhat frantically. Panting, drinking water, but cannot stop moving around...eating grass. Two small vomits...clear slime, a little foam, some grass.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the Bernese eat anything unusual?

He wags his tail and greets us but is clearly distracted and not himself.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Bernese's name?

Jack

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jack?

I don't think so. I can't find anything that he may have ingested.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Thank you. I appreciate it.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Jack is uncomfortable however I have worked out an answer for you below.

When a dog suddenly starts to compulsively eat grass and behave like this then in my experience it usually means that the dog is feeling nauseous and you will perhaps have a bout of vomiting and / or diarrhoea on the way. But of course this sort of thing is always a gamble so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check him over without delay. Be on particular guard for any abdominal distension { bloat }

However if you are dealing with nausea then there are a number of home remedies which some owners use in this sort of situation while waiting for their vet's appointment. These work well for uncomplicated cases where for example a dog has eaten something he should not have out in the yard, or had some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has a minor tummy bug.

Here are some examples :

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepcid to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much, a teaspoon twice a day is fine for smaller breeds ranging up to two tablespoons twice a day for larger dogs.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if he deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side. But in any case I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Jack's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Jack is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his nausea ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?