Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Ear infection on going tried zymox, now have banixx. Has…

Customer Question
Ear infection on going...

Ear infection on going tried zymox, now have banixx. Has cauliflower ear due to scratching?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Ear infection on going,used zymox now trying banixx. She also has cauliflower ear due to scratching. 7 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Halo, a Whippet

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Halo?

Will banixx help, vet app. not until 13 dec.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. It most likely wouldn't hurt, but I would question its efficacy. It is not a product that is really used by dog and cat veterinarians. It hasn't been studied and doesn't carry an FDA approval, so any claims are completely from the company. A lot depends on the type of infection (i.e.; yeast, bacteria, including which bacteria), inflammation and swelling that is involved. If the ears are swollen or inflamed enough, then steroids are usually necessary to get that under control if you want to have a shot of getting the infection under control. If you can get Halo in sooner to see a vet (any vet), that would be better than waiting for another month. A lot more damage can be done to the ears and ear drums in that time frame if not properly treated. In short, Banixx may help but I would be surprised if it helps enough until then. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Halo is doing and to see if you have any other questions.