Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 9-year old Aussie and the vet recommended 1000 mg

Customer Question

hi---
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: so I have a 9-year old Aussie and the vet recommended 1000 mg of fish oil a couple years back for his stiff hips all this time, I have been giving him the pills in gel capsules (I bought them at Costco and they are for people) I never thought to check if this is harmful to him and I just was thinking of it this morning for some reason
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Murdock
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Murdock?
Customer: just that he has stiff hips and I give him 1000 mg glucosamine chew for the same reason stiff back end the glucosamine is made for dogs though so no worries there
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. No fish oils are safe for dogs. If consumed in very large amounts in one sitting, it can possibly cause a pancreatitis, but that shouldn't happen with normal dosing, unless a dog is already prone to pancreatitis. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Murdock is doing and to see if you have any other questions.