Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is a 14 year old Havanese. She started with diarrhea…

Customer Question
She is a 14...

She is a 14 year old Havanese. She started with diarrhea yesterday. I gave her immodium after the forth episode. Today, she is still not interested in eating. I was concerned about dehydration, but she has urinated twice and just drank a little water for the first time.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

She has been doing the "inverted sneeze" thing more often in the past week, but I thought it may be allergies. she seems to be perking up a bit. she vomited bile a few times last night and ate a little grass this am. I was going to take her to the vet, but we are out of town. Like I said, she has peed twice this am and just drank some water (which is improvement).

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here.

I am glad that she is able to keep some water down.

If you cant get to the vet today I would suggest that you start her with an antacid. I like Efferdose Ranitidine as it can be dosed more accurately for these little ones.

Suspect we are still dealing with acute gastroenteritis.

I would continue with the Imodium at 0.1 mg/kg three times daily

You can try feeding her cooked hamburger and rice also.

Make sense?

Paul

thank you. She has not had a bowel movement since about 3:00 yesterday. Should I still give her the imodium?
If she is urinating, does that mean she is not dehydrated?We can find a vet in a nearby town, but she seems to be improving. Should I take her anyway, or try the antacid and hamburger and rice first?

Yes you can give another does of the Imodium. 0.1 mg/kg

I think if she is on the mend (hopefully) that you can give her a bit more time before making the decision to take her in.

I would try and antacid and the hamburger and rice now.

And maybe update me in a couple of hours.

If she is urinating then, all things being equal, she is taking in water.

Paul

Are you still there?

Do you have any more questions?

Paul

One last question. I am up in the mountains, I am headed to drug store for an antacid. Any brand I am more likely to find?
She just ate a little turkey, so I am optimistic she is on the mend. I will go buy hamburger and rice at store when I buy antacid.
Thanks for your help

I like Efferdose Ranitidine. BUT they may not carry it.

If you cant find it then buy Pepcid AC

The dose is 0.2 mg/kg twice daily by mouth

IF you can find the Efferdose Ranitidine the dose is 1.0 mg/kg three times daily by mouth.

Okay?

thank you. she just went outside and was trying to poop. just a few drips came out, so the imodium seems to be working, but clearly her intestine is still spasming. Is that normal or should I look for a local vet. She is acting like she feels better....

Lets give her a bit of time.

IF she continues to try and go poop often then we may be dealing with colitis.

Either way the Imodium will help and you could add canned pumpkin to the food (1 TBSP)

Update me in a few hours.

I will be online all day.

To recap:

Imodium

Antacid

Hamburger and rice with some canned pumpkin added

Update me this afternoon UNLESS she had other problems.

Got it?

Got it. Thanks!

Okay I will leave this link open after you rate me so that you can give me updates later today.

Good luck, Paul