Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Took our dog to Vet last week. She has nose bleeds and

Customer Question
Took our dog to...

Took our dog to Vet last week. She has nose bleeds and choking she gave.her vitamin K1, said she must have eaten rat poison. After a week the bleeding started up again . Cost about 200,00. What can we do at home? I can't put her down.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?

Just here at home but she does go outside and don't know if she could have gotten it somewhere, not here. She also said her blood isn't clotting as it should and the K1 should help.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

No, this has been going on for a while. We called her and want us to bring her in again this morning

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your dog. Regretfully, the vitamin K available over the counter is so weak compared to the vitamin K your vet gave your dog, that even giving hundreds of the pills daily wouldn't be helpful. I understand your financial constraints, however, and so should your vet. Don't hesitate to tell the vet that you can't afford to bring your dog in again and would he/she please refill the prescription of vitamin K. The newer anticoagulant rodenticides remain effective for up to 6 weeks in dogs and so vitamin K may be needed for that long. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

the k1 should eventually help the condition? Of blood not cloting due to rat poisoning?

Vitamin K is the antidote for anticoagulant rodenticides or for conditions in which a poorly functioning liver can't produce enough vitamin K. It doesn't address other coagulopathies (clotting disorders) such as thrombocytopenia (a lack of blood platelets) which is often idiopathic (unknown cause but thought to be immune-mediated) but can be caused by tick-borne infections, certain drug toxicities, sepsis, and bone marrow diseases. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian