Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

35 days pregnant and has a very poor appetite. Blood smear…

Customer Question
35 days pregnant and...

35 days pregnant and has a very poor appetite. Blood smear showed increase white cell count so she is on Clavet. Wont eat any dry food. Just raw chicken or mince but not nearly as much as before

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She was injured a week prior to being bred. May have hurt a toe which caused her to limp. She eats when the food is placed inside her mouth but that's it. Been like this for some time now and the vet just gave me an antibiotic...as usual.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
She now struggles to pass a stool and only a small slimy yellow dropping is left behind. Is this from all the raw chicken she has been eating? I cant give her kyro B too often as Im afraid of liver damage. Im desperate to get her back to eating as per norm. Her energy levels have increased Ive begun to force feed her. Should I walk her more often to increase her appetite and enable better bowel movement?
11/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. To answer your questions more specifically, you'll need to find a vet who knows how to "work-up" a patient such as your dog. An increased white blood cell count only tells us that there's inflammation somewhere in her body and the inflammation may not necessarily be associated with infection. We're primarily concerned about the genital tract in a pregnant dog and so not only diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests need to be performed but also X-rays or ultrasound of her uterus.

Yes, her bowel movements reflect her eating so poorly. Your force feeding her is appropriate and increased exercise can only be heathy but I'd be more comfortable knowing that a definitive cause for her malaise has been clarified. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you doc. Took her to the vet after she had begun to discharge really badly. She has pyometra and needs to be sterilized. Thanks for your help

You're quite welcome. Oh my. Thank you for taking the time to let me know.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian