Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She was spayed Nov. 8 and a breast lump was also removed, so…

Customer Question
She was spayed Nov...

She was spayed Nov. 8 and a breast lump was also removed, so 2 sets of separate stitches and 2 drainage tubes. I dabbed at the stitches with a cool damp cloth as I was told and yet today Nov. 10, I found these stitches hard and sharp and red spots on her skin where they dug in- they are not dissolvable and I need to soften them. Can you help?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?

Babykins age 4- a rescued dog. Chihuahua 12 lbs. There are no lumps on her skin- just red spots where the stitches have dug when they grew hard. the lump removed was not diagnosed as malignant- but there were a couple of questionable cells when it was aspirated so I had it removed. The problem is with the hardened stitches- they're like needles now. I should have left the cool wet cloth on for longer but 5 min.s 2x daily was the instruction.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Babykins?

It is already written in my second message. She is age 4.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Babykins?

No- she will have drainage tubes removed on this Tuesday but I have to get these things soft as soon as possible before they cause harm.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Regretfully, nonabsorbable sutures are of synthetic materials that can't be softened. Babykins's vet can clip and shorten the sharp ends, however, so they won't harm her skin. It would be best to have the vet recheck the suture lines for you at your earliest convenience. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.