Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Is it OK to put some voltaren on my dogs spinal area. She…

Customer Question
Is it OK to...

Is it OK to put some voltaren on my dogs spinal area. She has osteoarthritis in her spine around the collar area

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?

My Kelpie has osteoarthritis in her upper spine. Can I put some Voltaire on that area. She cannot reach the area to lick it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

It is her upper spine around the collar area. She can't lick that area.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

She has been treated for this before, but it is night time and I can't access a vet

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is your dog eating normally?

Yes. But I can tell she is sore by the way she is walking down the stairs

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

She has osteoarthritis in her upper spine. I know this because I have seen x-rays of her upper spine

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Diclofenac sodium, topical (Voltaren), is only approved for use in horses. In small animals - dogs such as your Kelpie -exposures to diclofenac sodium caused vomiting, diarrhea, bloody diarrhea, and increased thirst. Please review my synopsis about osteoarthritis in dogs:

We use a multimodal approach to osteoarthritis in our dogs - dietary management, nonsteroidal antiinflammatory pain relief, neutraceuticals, life-style changes and stem cell therapy. When used concomitantly these approaches should synergize and provide the best control of symptoms. For example, your dog might show considerable improvement if you add fish oil to her diet. The omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil are anti-inflammatory. I use the cost-effective generic human fish oils and dose them at 40 mg/kg daily of the EPA in the fish oil. You'll find the amount of EPA on the label of the fish oil product. There are also products containing only EPA.

Avoid flax oil because it is poorly bioavailable to dogs. They can't metabolize it properly.

If you prefer, there are diets that are extremely high in omega-3 fatty acids. Hill's Prescription Diet j/d is one such diet.

Many vets feel that injections of Adequan (polysulfated glycosaminoglycan) work better than oral neutraceuticals such as glucosamine/chondroiton sulfate or the over the counter Cosequin or prescription Dasequin (please see here: http://www.amazon.com/Nutramax-Cosequin-PLUS-Chewable-Tablets/dp/B003ULL1NQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1432474254&sr=1-1&keywords=cosequin). Adequan is injected into her weekly for a number of weeks at his vet's discretion. You can read more about Adequan here: http://www.adequancanine.us/

Regenerative stem cell therapy has come into its own and is now available for addressing osteoarthritis in dogs . Please see Vet-Stem's website here for more information:***@******.*** The regenerative stem cells are created from her fat cells and are capable of differentiating into a variety of tissue types including tendon, ligament, bone, cartilage, and muscle and have been proven to reduce pain and inflammation. I understand, however, that such an invasive procedure may not be appropriate at her age.

We have to suspect that just as in people, geriatric osteoarthritis in dogs is painful. If a prescription nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen, meloxicam or the new grapiprant isn't sufficient for controlling pain, please consider adding a well-tolerated narcotic such as tramadol to these therapies mentioned above. All of these drugs are available from her vet. Aspirin dosed at 20 mg/lb with food every 12 hours can be helpful in a pinch.

Weight reduction is essential. The less weight her joints need to carry, the better.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian