Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My elderly father's day terrier was just diagnosed with type…

Customer Question
My elderly father's day...

My elderly father's day terrier was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. My father cannot give him injections the dog has anxiety and bites) are there oral options?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Cooper is 11. He is a rat terrier. Taking blood and shots are an hour long fight which probably raises the sugar levels. Hoping for metformin or something like it

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cooper?

That's it

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Regretfully, the oral hypoglycemics such as metformin are inactive in dogs. We do have to accept that some dogs can't be treated apropriately due to their behavior. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian